Improve your research
In cooperation with the The Animal Experiments Inspectorate the Danish National Committee for the Protection of Animals used for Scientific Purposes have developed guidelines on specific animal models or procedures
- Guidelines for tumour models, mice
- Guidelines for taking blood samples from mice and rats
- Guidelines on weight loss in mice and rats
- Guidelines for fasting of mice and rats in experiments
- Guidelines for adminsitration/dosing of substances to mice and rats in experiments
Resources from Norecopa
Norecopa has produced a set of Guidelines for Planning Animal Research and Testing.
NC3Rs provides an extensive library of 3Rs resources.
- 3Rs video presentation (Demonstrating the 3Rs in principle and practice)
- Hard copy resources available from the NC3Rs (Find out how to order free copies of our pocket-sized ARRIVE guidelines, grimace scale posters and mouse handling posters)
- 3Rs in toxicology and regulatory sciences (NC3Rs programmes in drug and chemical safety testing)
- Anaesthesia for minor procedures e-learning resource (EU 20) (Funded by the NC3Rs, this e-learning resource ensures best practice in anaesthesia for minor procedures. This tutorial will open in a new window)
- Animal technician hub (Resources to help laboratory animal technicians implement the 3Rs)
- Blood sampling (Refining blood sampling from laboratory animals - advice on technique, route and volumes)
- Choosing an anaesthetic e-learning resource (EU21-2)(Funded by the NC3Rs, this e-learning resource focuses on choosing appropriate anaesthetic agents and regimens)
- Euthanasia e-learning resource (EU 6) (Funded by the NC3Rs, this e-learning resource focuses on principles and techniques for humane killing of laboratory animals)
- Experimental design (Resources to aid researchers improve the design and reporting of research using animals)
- Genetically altered mice (Information to help with the implementation of approaches to reduce and refine the use of GA mice)
- Grimace scales (Posters and other resources on the use of grimace scales to assess pain in laboratory animals)
- Housing and husbandry (Refining the housing and husbandry of common laboratory animal species)
- How to pick up a mouse (Non-aversive methods for handling mice)
- Increasing human tissue use (Resources to help researchers access and use human tissue)
Ressources fromResearch Institutes of Sweden (RISE)
RISE has produced two films about handling and training mice and rats
RSPCA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) provide information and resources that will help you to avoid severe suffering. All of the material can be used by anyone involved with the use of animals in research.
Resources from the European Commission (guides and posters)
EU guidance on how to achieve an effecttive animal welfare body touching upon topics such as resources, competencies, tasks and culture of care.
The posters can be downloaded, printed, and placed in work areas (for example in animal facilities and laboratories, universities, administrations or other institutions involved with the care and use of animals for scientific purposes).
- A summary of the main elements of the three guidance documents (Education and Training, Project Evaluation and Severity Assessment Framework)
- The Animal Welfare Bodies (AWB) and its role in and tools for implementing the Three Rs
- The key elements of the EU Education and Training framework (Legal background, Objectives, Modular Structure, Main modules, Educational learning process, Supervision and competence assessment)
Organ- and tissue sharing
- ShARM - Shared Ageing Research Models (non profit organisation, open to all scientific investigators in the UK and overseas, aiming to accelerate research into ageing by facilitating the sharing of resources)
- SEARCHBreast (a resource to facilitate sharing of archived material derived from in vivo breast cancer models)
- The EUPRIM-Net Project (brings together nine European primate centres that combine research and breeding to form a virtual European Primate Centre)
- NERD Animal Brain Bank (non-profit basic research organisation specialised within neuroecology and stereology)
- MiTO - Models in Translational Oncology (platform for the exchange of preclinical model data relevant in translational cancer research)
- MIDY (Munich-MIDY-Pig-Biobank) (resource for studying organ crosstalk in diabetes)
- AniMatch (an online sharing-platform facilitating the exchange of organs and tissues of lab animals used for scientific purposes)
Sign up for our newsletter - don't miss information about our annual symposium etc.
Improve your research poster
The Danish 3R-Center have created a poster you can order for free. Hang it up in your animal facility so your colleagues will be aware on the many resources available which can improve both animal welfare and research. Order some copies by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org